Published February 10, 2013
| Associated Press
MEXICO CITY – Mexican authorities say they have detained several people in last week's rape of six Spanish tourists in the Pacific resort of Acapulco. Officials aren't saying how many suspects are in custody.
Guerrero state Gov. Angel Aguirre says that in addition to being detained in that case, two of the suspects are being held in connection with another rape.
State government spokesman Pedro Julio Velez says the suspects were detained by the federal Attorney General's Office and taken to Mexico City. Federal officials have not commented.
The Feb. 11 attack on the Spaniards by masked gunmen was the latest incident of violence to tarnish Acapulco's image, and tourism industry executives are worrying it could hurt business in other Mexican resorts.