Published January 30, 2013
BOGOTA, Colombia – Colombia's peace talks are resuming in Cuba amid acrimony over the rebels' insistence on their right to take security force members prisoner.
Chief government negotiator Humberto De la Calle scolded the insurgents Wednesday as he departed Bogota for Havana after a one-week break.
De la Calle said the rebels needed to take responsibility for "their victims" in a clear reference to last week's capture of two police officers. He said there would otherwise be no possibility of an accord.
The Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia, or FARC, vowed to halt ransom kidnappings nearly a year ago.
But it said Tuesday it reserves the right to take security force members prisoner.
A two-month rebel unilateral cease-fire expired on Jan. 20. The rebels had hoped the government would join but it refused.