Menu

World

Egypt: Death toll rises to 31 in Port Said violence, city's streets deserted after rampage

  • ba5fc57027f0bd03270f6a7067001356.jpg

    UPDATES DEATH TOLL - Egyptian soccer fans of Al-Ahly club celebrate a court verdict that returned 21 death penalties in last years soccer violence, inside the club premises in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013. Egyptian security officials say military to deploy in Port Said after 38 people including a senior police officer and a policeman were shot dead in the Mediterranean city of Port Said after a judge sentenced 21 people to death in connection to one of the world's deadliest incidents of soccer violence. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)The Associated Press

  • e00a8d4d27e9bd03270f6a706700334a.jpg

    UPDATES DEATH TOLL - Families and supporters of those accused of soccer violence from the Port Said soccer club react to the announcement of verdicts for 21 fans on trial in last years Port Said stadium incident which left 74 people dead, in Port Said, Egypt, Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013. Egyptian security officials say that 38 people have died in the Mediterranean city of Port Said after a judge sentenced 21 people to death in connection to one of the world's deadliest incidents of soccer violence (AP Photo/Mohammed Nouhan, Shorouk Newspaper) EGYPT OUTThe Associated Press

  • 42cad64d27f3bd03270f6a706700f5c3.jpg

    UPDATES DEATH TOLL - Egyptian soccer fans of Al-Ahly club celebrate a court verdict that returned 21 death penalties in last years soccer violence, which left 74 dead, inside the club premises in Cairo, Egypt, Saturday, Jan. 26, 2013. Egyptian security officials say military to deploy in Port Said after 38 people including a senior police officer and a policeman were shot dead in the Mediterranean city of Port Said after a judge sentenced 21 people to death in connection to one of the world's deadliest incidents of soccer violence. (AP Photo/Khalil Hamra)The Associated Press

Egyptian health officials say the death toll from rioting in the city of Port Said has risen to 31.

Angry residents and young men went on a rampage in the city Saturday after a court handed down death sentences to almost two dozen local fans involved in a deadly melee at a soccer game last year.

Residents say the city's streets are deserted early Sunday. Local authorities have instructed government departments to take the day off, except for health and food supplies facilities.

Stores were closed and hotels asked guests to leave, fearing more violence.

Residents say army troops backed by tanks and armored vehicles have taken control of the city.

The officials and residents spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak to the media.