Published December 26, 2012
| Associated Press
BANGUI, Central African Republic – A leader for the rebels seizing towns across Central African Republic says the fighters do not intend to advance on the capital.
Rebel Col. Djouma Narkoyo said Wednesday that his forces have continued taking control of towns in recent days because government forces are attacking their positions.
He says the rebels still remain open to dialogue with President Francois Bozize's government.
There is unease, though, in the capital of Bangui. Residents here say they're skeptical about the rebels' claim that they won't try to seize this city of about 600,000.
The rebels began their offensive earlier this month and already have gained control of at least 10 towns.
The alliance of three rebel groups is seeking to re-negotiate past peace accords with the government.