Published November 23, 2012
NAIROBI, Kenya – A South Sudanese official says Sudan carried out aerial bombardments of the northern part of South Sudan in the last three days killing seven people and wounding more than a dozen others.
Military spokesman Col. Philip Aguer said Friday that Sudanese Antonov planes dropped more than 27 bombs in a disputed region near the village of Kiir Adem in northern Bahr el Ghazal State.
Aguer says the attack is in violation of a security agreement signed between the two countries 54 days ago to end hostilities. South Sudan is also accusing Sudan of frustrating its efforts to resume oil production.
South Sudan broke away from Sudan last year after decades of conflict between the north and south. The two countries have unresolved issues on border demarcation and distribution of oil.