Published November 10, 2012
UNITED NATIONS – The chief prosecutor of the International Criminal Court says she is collecting evidence for possible new war crimes charges against supporters and opponents of Moammar Gadhafi during last year's Libyan civil war.
Fatou Bensouda said she expects to decide soon on "the direction" of a possible new case that could see the first charges stemming from the Libyan conflict since the ICC issued arrest warrants for Gadhafi, his son Seif al-Islam Gadhafi, and intelligence chief Abdullah al-Senoussi in May 2011.
Bensouda said she expects the tribunal's judges to decide "as soon as possible" whether Seif al-Islam should be prosecuted by the ICC or in Libya as the government is demanding.
In a recent wide-ranging interview, Bensouda also discussed the importance of capturing African warlord Joseph Kony.