WARSAW, Poland – Polish police say they have arrested and charged two suspects in a series of bomb attacks at IKEA stores in several European countries this year.
The attacks, made with homemade bombs, occurred from May to September in France, Belgium, the Netherlands, Germany and the Czech Republic. Two people were injured in the German attack but there were no fatalities. Some of the bombs were potentially lethal, though not all detonated.
Andrzej Matejuk, police commander with the Central Bureau of Investigation, said Saturday that two Polish men, both aged 39, were arrested in the case. They were only identified as Mikolaj G. and Adam K. Their full names were not given, in accordance with Polish laws that protect the identities of suspects.
"Significant evidence was gathered on the men which clearly points to their guilt," Matejuk said.
IKEA said it also faced an "extortion threat" after the bombing attacks.
Police spokesman Mariusz Sokolowski said that both men were charged with endangering the lives of many people, extortion and racketeering and could face up to 10 years in prison.
He said the men were arrested after hundreds of Polish officers worked on the case along with counterparts in the countries where the attacks occurred.
"Because the bomb loads were getting stronger, there was a serious threat to the life and health of many people. Time counted," Sokolowski told the news agency PAP.
Last month, Europol said it believed the attacks were the work of a single man.