Published May 19, 2011
CASTRIES, St. Lucia – Police on the Caribbean island of St. Lucia say they wrongly announced that six local men have been charged with raping two British women.
Acting Assistant Police Commissioner Frances Henry says investigators are still interviewing several suspects in connection with the incident and no charges have been filed. The Thursday announcement comes a day after a police statement said six detained men had been charged.
The six men were recently arrested in connection with the May 10 nighttime assault on the two British women. They are due in court later this month.
The women, ages 24 and 31, were working on a conservation project when they were assaulted by six men wearing masks on an isolated stretch of beach.