Menu

World

2 killed in latest blast in Nigeria's northeast

Police say that a blast in Nigeria's restive northeast has killed two bystanders at a bus stop.

Authorities suspect that members of a radical Muslim sect locally known as Boko Haram were behind the latest attack in Maiduguri.

Borno state police spokesman Lawal Abudullahi said that a bomb detonated at about 8 p.m. Friday, killed two men aged 25 and 27.

Boko Haram members have targeted police and clerics in a string of killings over the last year, and also have attacked churches and engineered a massive prison break.

A man claiming to be a Boko Haram spokesman told the BBC recently that the group was rejecting an amnesty offered by a newly elected state government in an attempt to calm tensions.