World

Accusers of priest in Chile won't appeal ruling

The lawyer for a group of men who accuse a prominent Chilean priest of sexually abusing them as teenagers says his clients will not appeal a ruling in favor of the clergyman.

After four months of investigation, a judge closed the case last week without filing charges against Fernando Karadima.

Lawyer Juan Pablo Hermosilla said Friday he had been instructed not to appeal.

Five men, now adults, allege Karadima began abusing them about 20 years ago, when they were between 14 and 17 years old. They say the abuse occurred at the priest's residence at the Sacred Heart of Jesus church in Santiago.

Karadima denies the charges.

The allegations added to a growing church abuse scandal in largely Roman Catholic Latin America.