MADRID-- A Spanish court official says Sean Connery won't be appearing in court as requested by a judge investigating an allegedly shady real estate deal in southern Spain.

The official says the 72-year-old actor sent the judge a letter explaining he cannot travel to Spain because of his age and unspecified health issues. Connery and wife Micheline Roquebrune had been summoned to testify on Friday. They have not been charged with a crime in the affair known in Spain as the "Goldfinger Case."

The official said the magistrate will decide next week how to proceed.

The probe involves a beachfront mansion near Marbella that Connery used to own which was allegedly illegally rezoned to allow condominiums to be built.