SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina – SARAJEVO, Bosnia-Herzegovina (AP) — Forensic experts in Bosnia say they have exhumed the remains of 54 Muslim civilians killed in the 1995 Srebrenica massacre.
Lejla Cengic, the spokeswoman for Bosnia's Institute for Missing People, said Friday that the skeletal remains were dug out of three mass graves buried under garbage at a dump site near the town of Srebrenica.
She said five more mass graves had been found on the same site, covering 20,000 square meters, and will be exhumed.
Cengic said the remains were those of victims of the July 1995 Srebrenica massacre, in which about 8,000 Bosniak Muslim men and boys were killed by Bosnian Serb troops.
The mass killing in Srebrenica is the only episode of Bosnia's 1992-95 war labeled an act of genocide by the International Court of Justice.