TORONTO – TORONTO (AP) — Ontario's ombudsman is launching an investigation into a controversial security regulation imposed during last month's G-20 summit in Toronto.
The regulation approved by the provincial legislature allowed police to question and potentially arrest anyone near the downtown Toronto security zone set up for the June 26-27 global economic summit if they refused to produce identification or be searched.
Ombudsman Andre Marin said Friday he received several complaints that the public was not adequately informed about the security regulation, and the lack of transparency led to confusion and possible illegal searches far from the security zone.
He says the probe will investigate how the regulation was approved by the provincial government and subsequently communicated to the public.
Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty acknowledged this week that his government could have done a better job to make the public more aware of the regulation.