The Americas

Van Der Sloot Willing to Tell Where Holloway's Buried in Exchange for Transfer to Aruba

June 5: Joran van der Sloot is escorted by Peruvian police as he arrives at their offices in Lima.

June 5: Joran van der Sloot is escorted by Peruvian police as he arrives at their offices in Lima.  (AFP/Getty Images)

Dutch murder suspect Joran van der Sloot says he'll reveal the location of U.S. teen Natalee Holloway's body if authorities transfer him from Peru's most infamous prison to a jail in Aruba, Radio Netherlands Worldwide reports Sunday.

Van der Sloot, who reportedly fears for his safety inside the infamous Miguel Castro Castro prison, said he will disclose information about Holloway's remains on condition that he be transferred to his native Aruba. 

The 22-year-old Dutchman, who is the prime suspect in Holloway's disappearance, confessed to killing 21-year-old Peruvian Stephany Flores on May 30 -- five years to the day after the Alabama teen disappeared during a senior class trip to Aruba. 

Van der Sloot has since told police investigators that he knows the location of Holloway's remains, the chief of Peru's criminal police, Gen. Cesar Guardia, told The Associated Press.  

"He let slip that he knew the place where this person was buried," Guardia said. 

More On This...

He added, however, that Van der Sloot told investigators "he would only testify (on the matter) before Aruba authorities."

Peruvian President Alan García said Van der Sloot will serve his prison sentence in Peru, according to Radio Netherlands Worldwide. And the prosecutor's office on Aruba has reportedly said there is no treaty allowing prisoner transfers between Peru and the Netherlands. 

Van der Sloot has told a number of differing accounts since Holloway's disappearance, including one story in which he sold her to an unnamed man who took her out to sea in his boat -- possibly to Venezuela

Efforts by the FBI to try to solve the Holloway case may have inadvertently helped fund the travel that enabled the murder of Flores in Van der Sloot's hotel room.

Believing it was closing in on Van der Sloot, the FBI videotaped and allowed him to be paid $25,000 in a sting operation in Aruba last month. But it held off on arresting him, and he took the money and flew to Peru.

Guardia told the AP in an interview that the 6-foot-3 Van der Sloot impressed investigators with both his intelligence and brutality.

He said the husky Dutchman grabbed Flores and smashed her with an elbow before strangling her and throwing her to the floor of his room.

The general said Van der Sloot took Flores' cash, about $300 worth of Peruvian currency, two credit cards and her national ID card.

Guardia said Van der Sloot admitted to killing Flores because she found out about the Aruba case while using his laptop without his permission when he went out for coffee.

But he said police do not necessarily believe him and think he may have killed Flores before going out and returning to the hotel room with two cups of coffee and rolls.

Col. Miguel Canlla, chief of homicide investigations, told the AP that Van der Sloot took off his shirt after strangling Flores and put it on her. He said the Dutchman wanted to put her body into a suitcase but couldn't.

"He is cold, calculating and cynical," Canlla said.

The evidence against the Dutchman includes hotel security camera video showing Flores and Van der Sloot entering his hotel room together and the Dutchman leaving alone four hours later.

Security camera video from the Atlantic City casino early on the morning of her death shows Flores arriving at a poker table where Van der Sloot is sitting with other players, shaking his hand as if they met before and then taking the seat next to him. The two later leave together.

Van der Sloot confessed, police say, on his third full day in police custody and a full week after he fled into northern Chile.

He was charged with extortion in the United States on June 2 -- the day of his arrest in Chile -- in a case that started after Van der Sloot contacted John Kelly, a New York lawyer for Holloway's mother, Beth Twitty, in April, according to an affidavit.

The Dutchman allegedly was seeking $250,000 in exchange for the location of Holloway's body, how she died and the identity of those involved.

Van der Sloot's father died in February and he "wanted to come clean, but he also wanted money," said Bo Dietl, a private investigator who worked with Kelly on the case.

After consulting with Twitty, Kelly contacted the FBI.

The agency sent 10 to 12 agents to Aruba for a sting operation, he said, in which Kelly on May 10 gave Van der Sloot $10,000 in cash; another $15,000 was wired to a bank account.

Van der Sloot was told he would get $225,000 once the body was found, Dietl said. According to the affidavit, Van der Sloot insisted that a written contract be signed between him and Twitty.

Van der Sloot was secretly videotaped by the FBI in an Aruba hotel telling Kelly he pushed Holloway down, that she hit her head on a rock and died, the affidavit says. He said he then contacted his father, who helped him bury the body.

Kelly and Van der Sloot went to where the Dutchman said he and his father had put Holloway -- in the foundation of a house.

No body has been found, however.

And the affidavit says Van der Sloot admitted in a May 17 e-mail -- he was in Peru by then -- that he had lied about the location of Holloway's remains.

It was not the first time Van der Sloot has admitted to having lied about the case. Several times, he made confessions he later retracted.

Van der Sloot was the last person seen with Holloway before the girl vanished on the last night of a high school graduation trip.

He was arrested twice but released both times for a lack of evidence.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.