Fox News Weather Center

Weekly wrap-up: Super Typhoon Meranti slams East Asia; 5 meteorologists saved from polar bear siege

Super Typhoon Meranti made landfall in Taiwan on Tuesday, killing one civilian.

Meranti, at that time, was the strongest typhoon in the Western Pacific since Super Typhoon Haiyan in November of 2013, one of the most powerful storms ever recorded in the world. Haiyan was also known as Yolanda in the Philippines, where the storm wreaked havoc.

Meranti weakened before making landfall in southeastern China on early Thursday morning local time at a strength equivalent of a Category 2 hurricane.

Super Typhoon Meranti neared Taiwan on Sept. 13, 2016. (Photo/NASA)

Meanwhile, an abnormal heat wave baked Southern England, including London.

While some people enjoyed an abnormally hot day, others struggled to adjust to the conditions.

How to survive a British #HeatWave

— Dave (@Join_Dave) September 13, 2016

Enjoy this woofinglyhot weather & don't leave us #dogs in the car ~ keep our water bowls full#heatwave in the UK 🌞

— Bonnie Le Bon 🐶 (@DuranDuranDog) September 13, 2016

Following midweek warmth in the northeastern United States, a significant cooldown slashed temperatures. The fall-like conditions were more notable than the cool air that moved into the region earlier in the week.

Tropical Storm Julia formed over Jacksonville, Florida, on Tuesday night marking a rare occurrence. Storms do not typically reach a tropical status over land.

Tropical Storm Julia unleashed heavy rain Wednesday morning along the northeastern coast of Florida and southeastern Georgia. The slow-moving storm caused flash flooding and produced 3 to 6 inches of rain across portions of eastern Georgia and South Carolina as it tracked from northeastern Florida to off the Southeast coast on Wednesday.

On an Arctic Circle island, located approximately 2,800 miles off the coast of Moscow, five meteorologists who were trapped in their weather station for two weeks after polar bears surrounded their weather station were finally able to leave.

The meteorologists sought shelter as they ran out of signal flares, which they had been using to scare away the animals. Their guard dog was also previously eaten by the polar bears, according to NBC News.

Playlist used for trending content.

There was a possibility that the siege could last for another month because a ship would not be able to reach the islands in the Arctic Circle.

A research vessel took a detour to assist the trapped scientists, station supervisor Vasily Shevchenko told NBC News.

The ship was able to frighten away the bears using its helicopter. The weather station was also restocked with more flares and puppies.