MYRTLE BEACH, S.C. – Six shootings in three days have prompted officials in a popular South Carolina beach town to put up barricades to keep people off the streets and on the sidewalks.
Workers in Myrtle Beach began putting up barricades along Ocean Boulevard on Thursday after officials said pedestrians blocking traffic led to the most serious of the six shootings early Sunday. Six people were taken to hospitals. No one died.
Some business owners don't like the barricades. The owner of one pizza restaurant said the barricades could hurt business and said the barricades don't look "beachy" or relaxing.
City spokesman Mark Kruea says if the barricades work, the city will look for what he called a "more elegant solution."
But others are happy with the move.
"I'm glad that they're doing this and I think that with these changes, the city is doing the best that they can," said Debra Hodgson, a Myrtle Beach native.
"You will see a large, visible presence of officers this weekend and weekends to come," said Myrtle Beach Police Lt. Joey Crosby.
The city also is adding lighting in the area and the city council may consider making a curfew for those under 17 more restrictive.
Gov. Henry McMaster met with state law enforcement and local officials Thursday and promised to do "whatever it takes" to keep Myrtle Beach visitors and residents safe.
The Chamber of Commerce said 18 million people visited Myrtle Beach last year.