Ohio

Family dog helps save Ohio woman who overdosed

Buddy the dog.

Buddy the dog.  (FOX 19)

A family dog became an unlikely hero after a woman overdosed on heroin inside her Goshen home Friday. 

Everyone else in the State Route 28 house was asleep when the 29-year-old woman overdosed, according to the OD victim's mother, who asked to keep the family's identity private. "Buddy" jumped to the rescue and went to get help.

"I was sound asleep. Then I heard him, trot, trot on the floor. Normally it doesn't get up and go out in the middle of the night. He put the paw on the bed whines a little bit," the mother said.

Cincinnati News, FOX19-WXIX TV

She said Buddy's behavior let her know right away that something wasn't right. The dog led her straight to her daughter's bedroom toward the back of the house.

"He was heading back there and she was right there on the floor just laid out," she said. 

Goshen police responded and medics had to use four doses of Narcan to bring her daughter back. The woman already lost another daughter to a drug overdose.

She said if it wasn't for Buddy she would have lost another one. 

"I wouldn't have gotten up until 7 or 8 a.m., and this was 2:30 in the morning, so I'm fortunate."

Related stories...

Goshen police cited the 29-year-old for disorderly conduct, but her mother said that not enough. 

"It's a slap on the hand, I think. I think they should say you have to take classes. 12 classes or three months of classes, something to try to get it through their head that it's going to kill them," she said. 

Read more from FOX 19.