ORLANDO, Fla. – A South Florida boy has survived a brain-eating amoeba that kills most people who contract it.
Florida Hospital officials in Orlando said Tuesday that 16-year-old Sebastian DeLeon came to the hospital two weeks ago complaining of a headache and sensitivity to light.
Hospital staffers are trained to look for the amoeba since another boy died from it there previously.
Officials say the infection has a fatality rate of 97 percent. It's often contracted through the nose when swimming in freshwater.
Doctors lowered the teen's body temperature, induced a coma and gave him a drug that isn't readily available at most hospitals.
Luck was also on his side since the drug's manufacturer is based in Orlando, and a shipment got to the hospital quickly.
He is expected to recover with therapy.