CHICAGO – Newly released police reports show that Chicago officers involved in the fatal shooting of an 18-year-old said he didn't comply with commands while "reaching into his waistband."
The Chicago Police Department released the heavily redacted reports Friday in connection with the July 28 shooting of Paul O'Neal in response to open records requests. The reports come a week after the city released body and dashboard camera footage of the incident.
"During the pursuit offender failed to comply with verbal commands while reaching into his waistband," an officer said in one report.
One officer involved in the shooting said in a Tactical Response Report that "numerous shots" were heard coming from the vehicle O'Neal was driving, which had been reported stolen. No gun was recovered.
Videos released by police show the vehicle clipping a police cruiser before striking another police vehicle head-on down the block.
O'Neal fled the vehicle and officers were pursuing him in a foot chase when he was shot. Autopsy results found O'Neal was shot in the back.
The city hasn't released the officers' names, but the reports provide information about them. Two have three years of experience and one officer joined the force two years ago, according to the reports.
The officer who shot O'Neal joined the department in October 2012, the report stated, and fired five shots and was 5 to 10 feet away when the first shot was fired. Another officer fired nine shots and was within 5 feet of the vehicle O'Neal was driving when the officer first opened fire. A third officer fired one shot from more than 15 feet away, according to the report.
Chicago Police Superintendent Eddie Johnson has stripped three officers involved in the shooting death of their police powers. Johnson cited potential policy violations. In one of the newly released reports, a supervisor marked a box indicating the shooting wasn't within policy.