PHOENIX – Authorities say four workers at a west Phoenix scrap yard have been transported to a hospital after a chlorine leak while five others were treated at the scene.
Phoenix firefighters say a crane's claw hit a one-ton cylinder that contained chlorine.
The cylinder was punctured and fumes were released into the area around 11 a.m. Tuesday at Liberty Iron and Metal Southwest.
They say it several scrap yard workers and others complained of burning throats, runny eyes and a smell that made it difficult for them to breathe.
Phoenix Fire Department officials say the four taken to hospitals all were reported to be in stable condition.
The department's Hazardous Materials Unit is working to monitor the leak and clear the area.
Authorities say no firefighters were injured.