Prosecutors in Cleveland have filed new charges that could bring a death sentence against a man suspected in the shooting deaths of a pregnant woman and three others.

James Sparks-Henderson II previously pleaded not guilty to aggravated murder in the shootings in November 2014.

Prosecutors in Cuyahoga (ky-uh-HOH'-guh) County filed a new indictment Thursday and say they're now pursuing the death penalty against the 20-year-old.

Defense attorney Rufus Sims says they'll fight the charges.

Authorities have said Sparks-Henderson confessed, but Sims says that's not accurate. He declined to comment further on Thursday.

Authorities say DNA and ballistics evidence tie Sparks-Henderson to the slayings.

Police have said a masked gunman killed three people in a home and then fired into a car, killing a woman and her unborn child.