MANILA, Philippines – U.S. and Philippine authorities say American troops involved in a bar brawl with Filipino policemen face possible disciplinary sanctions in an incident earlier this month the local military says has no bearing on ongoing large-scale combat exercises by the treaty allies.
Philippine military spokesman Capt. Celeste Frank Sayson said Wednesday that the April 2 scuffle in western Palawan province was a misunderstanding that was settled amicably.
A Youtube video showed one of three Filipino policemen drawing a pistol during the confrontation.
The U.S. military said that "any potential misconduct of U.S. service members is completely unacceptable" and will be dealt with by the troops' home unit.