KALAMAZOO, Michigan – The Latest in the criminal case against a man accused of fatally shooting six people last month in the Kalamazoo, Michigan, area (all times local):
A police report says the man charged with killing six people and wounding two others in southwestern Michigan told investigators he was being controlled by an Uber app through his cellphone.
Authorities say he carried out the shootings in between driving for Uber. According to the report released Monday, Jason Dalton said "it feels like it is coming from the phone itself and he didn't know how to describe that."
Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder in the Kalamazoo-area shootings Feb. 20 outside an apartment complex, a restaurant and at a car lot. Two people survived.
Police say in the report Dalton said "he is not a killer and he knows that he has killed."
A man charged with killing six people in a series of shootings in southwestern Michigan had warned his wife she wouldn't be able to return to work and their children couldn't go back to school — and she'd understand everything by watching TV news.
Carole Dalton told investigators she was stumped by what Jason Dalton told her the night of the shootings. At that time, the first shooting had already occurred.
The details are in documents released Monday by the Kalamazoo County sheriff's office, responding to a public records request by The Associated Press and others.
Jason Dalton is charged with murder and attempted murder in the Kalamazoo-area shootings Feb. 20 outside a restaurant and at a car lot. Two people survived, including a woman shot elsewhere.