SAN FRANCISCO – A federal appeals court says 10 terrorist attack victims who won financial claims against Iran can seize a $2.8 million judgment owed to that country's defense ministry.
The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals ruled Friday that the seizure would not violate agreements between Iran and the United States to resolve the Iran hostage crisis. The court also said the money was among assets that had been frozen by an executive order.
The victims include survivors of a 1997 suicide bombing in Jerusalem that a lower court judge determined was supported by Iran.
The judge ordered Iran to pay the victims damages ranging from $2.5 million to $15 million.
A call to an attorney who represented Iran's defense ministry was not immediately returned.