Police in Pennsylvania say a 3-year-old boy suffered serious burns when a one-pot methamphetamine lab exploded.

Erie police say 34-year-old Stephen Godfrey was cooking the drugs when they exploded, burning the boy Feb. 4. The boy was taken to a hospital for treatment of severe burns to his face, hands, legs and abdomen.

Fire inspectors initially thought the boy's blanket got too close to a wall-mounted heater, causing a small explosion and fire.

Online court records don't list an attorney for Godfrey, who faces a preliminary hearing Feb. 18 on charges of felony drug manufacturing, endangering a child and other crimes.

Police say Godfrey removed the drug-making materials before firefighters arrived.