CINCINNATI – The latest developments in the conclusion of a southwest Ohio prosecutor's investigation into details of the June fatal shooting of a Cincinnati police officer and of an armed suspect (all times local):
Cincinnati police have released service record information for the police officer who killed an armed man in a gunfight shortly after the suspect fatally shot another officer.
The record released Wednesday notes Specialist Thomas Sandmann has been with the department since 1987. Performance reports describe the 51-year-old as a "seasoned veteran and beat officer" and an "asset to the shift." The reports also note Sandmann's knowledge, experience and willingness to get involved, especially on the "tough runs."
Various police chiefs commended Sandmann for teamwork, dedication to duty and investigative techniques.
Hamilton County Joe Deters (DEE'-turs) said earlier Wednesday that Sandmann exhibited bravery and was justified in shooting Trepierre Hummons, who shot and killed Officer Sonny Kim. Deters says Sandmann deserves a medal for saving other lives by his actions.
An Ohio prosecutor has released police dashboard-camera video of the June fatal shootings of a Cincinnati police officer and an armed suspect.
Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters (DEE'-turs) provided a raw, 50-minute video recorded by Officer Tom Sandmann's police cruiser. He released the footage at the end of a news conference Wednesday in which he said there would be no charges in the case.
Deters praised Sandmann for bravery, saying he likely saved other lives. Sandmann killed 21-year-old Trepierre Hummons in a gun battle soon after Hummons fatally shot Officer Sonny Kim.
News organizations including The Associated Press sought the video under public records laws. The AP planned to review the footage before deciding whether to publish any parts of it.
Deters urged the media to be sensitive in what they broadcast and said he would remember those who aren't.
An Ohio prosecutor says he believes an armed suspect killed by Cincinnati police in a June gunfight after an officer was fatally shot wanted to lure and kill "as many police officers as he could."
Hamilton County prosecutor Joe Deters (DEE'-turs) says there will be no charges in the case. He says the police officer who killed 21-year-old Trepierre Hummons probably saved other lives. Deters says Hummons, had he lived, would be facing the death penalty for shooting officer Sonny Kim.
Cincinnati police had earlier said they thought Hummons was seeking "suicide by cop." Deters said Wednesday that Hummons had just been accused of sexual assault by his girlfriend and was very distraught.
Deters says he will release police dash-camera video of the encounter sought by the news media.
An Ohio prosecutor says there will be no charges in the fatal shootings of a Cincinnati police officer and an armed suspect.
Joe Deters (DEE'-turs) contradicted an earlier police conclusion that the 21-year-old suspect was seeking a "suicide by cop." He says Trepierre Hummons wanted to ambush and kill police officers.
Hummons shot officer Sonny Kim three times when the 48-year-old officer responded to 911 calls placed by Hummons.
Deters says he believes the officer who killed Hummons prevented further loss of life.
Camera crews and reporters have gathered for Hamilton County Prosecutor Joe Deters' (DEE'-turz) press briefing on the investigation into the June 19 fatal shootings of Cincinnati police officer Sonny Kim and an armed suspect.
Deters on Tuesday said he expected the probe to be wrapped up by Wednesday. No charges have been expected against the Cincinnati officer who shot the armed suspect, but Deters said cryptically that "we're working on some things" he planned to discuss Wednesday.
He also wouldn't say Tuesday whether he would release police dash-camera video from the scene that news organizations requested.