INDIANAPOLIS – The latest on the dispute over Indiana Gov. Mike Pence's order blocking state agencies from assisting in the resettlement of Syrian refugees (all times local):
The Roman Catholic archbishop of Indianapolis says he'll be considering what steps to take next after meeting with Indiana Gov. Mike Pence amid a dispute over an order blocking state agencies from assisting Syrian refugees bound for the state.
Archbishop Joseph Tobin spent about an hour in Pence's Statehouse office on Wednesday afternoon. Tobin declined afterward to give specifics to The Associated Press about the discussion, saying he'd let Pence speak for himself.
Their meeting came a day after the archdiocese said private donors had offered to pay the costs of resettling a Syrian refugee family expected to arrive in Indiana later this month.
The Republican governor issued his order last month following the deadly Paris attacks. Another refugee group has filed a federal lawsuit challenging Pence's directive.
Indiana Gov. Mike Pence is meeting with the Roman Catholic archbishop of Indianapolis one day after the archdiocese said it has the means to resettle a Syrian refugee family bound for the state.
The Associated Press saw Archbishop Joseph Tobin walk into Pence's office Wednesday afternoon.
The Republican governor blocked state agencies from distributing federal money for Syrian refugees following the deadly Paris attacks. One family was redirected to Connecticut as a result.
The archdiocese has said it can settle a Syrian refugee family of four, but its spokesman Greg Otolski noted it may not happen if Indiana is perceived to be hostile or unwelcoming.
The Obama administration says states lack legal authority to block funding.
Also Wednesday, an Indianapolis-based refugee resettlement organization requested a temporary hold on Pence's order.