RICHMOND, Va. – A Virginia church known as the "Cathedral of the Confederacy" is shedding images reflecting its ties to the Confederacy.
St. Paul's Episcopal Church in Richmond is removing plaques with versions of the Confederate flag and the church's coat of arms, among other remnants of the Confederacy.
The Richmond Times-Dispatch (http://bit.ly/1XnSppV) reports that church leaders say they also hope to erect a memorial to honor slaves in Richmond, including those who were members of St. Paul's.
Windows depicting Confederate icons Robert E. Lee and Jefferson Davis as biblical characters will remain untouched.
Lee and his wife attended services at St. Paul's throughout the war, and Davis became a member in 1862.
St. Paul's is located within the shadow of the Virginia state Capitol and within blocks of the former Confederate White House.
Information from: Richmond Times-Dispatch, http://www.timesdispatch.com