Driver in deadly Oklahoma State homecoming crash said she was suicidal, court document says

Oct. 26, 2015: Stefanie Alexander, who witnessed the Saturday homecoming parade crash, places a candle at a makeshift memorial to the victims in Stillwater, Okla. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

Oct. 26, 2015: Stefanie Alexander, who witnessed the Saturday homecoming parade crash, places a candle at a makeshift memorial to the victims in Stillwater, Okla. (AP Photo/Sue Ogrocki)

The woman accused of purposely driving her car into a crowd watching Oklahoma State University's homecoming parade over the weekend told police she was suicidal, according to an affidavit filed Monday. 

Adacia Chambers, 25, is being held on four preliminary counts of second-degree murder in connection with Saturday's tragedy, in which four people, including a 2-year-old, were killed.

"Upon booking, defendant admitted to having a history of suicidal attempts and admitted to booking staff that she was suicidal at the time of the incident, but not at the time of booking," the affidavit sworn by Stillwater police officer Kurt Merrill said, according to the Oklahoman newspaper.

The affidavit said that Chambers also told police she had been treated for mental health-related issues in the past. Lawyer Tony Coleman said Monday that his client had been hospitalized at least twice in the last two years. 

A prosecutor said Chambers ran a red light, "purposely" went around a barricade and drove over a police motorcycle before crashing into the spectators.

Payne County District Attorney Laura Thomas told a judge at a bail hearing Monday that Chambers is "looking at four life sentences" if convicted of the murder charges. In Oklahoma, second-degree murder charges are warranted when someone acts in a way that's "imminently dangerous to another person" but does so without premeditation. Each count is punishable by at least 10 years in prison.

Chambers has yet to be formally charged in connection with the crash. Special District Judge Katherine Thomas granted the request for $1 million bail and ordered a psychological evaluation for Chambers, who is being held on preliminary counts of second-degree murder.

The suspect appeared at Monday's hearing via video. The only time she spoke was to say "yes" when the judge asked if she could hear her.

After the hearing, Coleman said to reporters that when he told Chambers about the deaths, "her face was blank." He said he was not sure Chambers is aware that she's in jail. Chambers had yet to ask to see her parents or boyfriend.

Police are awaiting blood tests to determine whether she was impaired by drugs or alcohol.

Chambers' father, Floyd, confirmed his daughter had received inpatient mental health treatment several years ago. But he said nothing had seemed amiss recently, except his daughter had recently called and said she wanted to move back to her home in the town of Oologah.

"I thought that was kind of strange, but I don't know. She was very good about hiding her problems because she didn't want the family to worry about her, and she kept to herself about things like that," Floyd Chambers said, fighting back tears.

Her boyfriend, Jesse Gaylord, said Chambers had difficulty sleeping and only got an hour or two of sleep before leaving for work Saturday morning.

Gaylord said he never saw Chambers take any drugs — either prescription or illegal — and that the last time they drank alcohol was a few weeks ago, when they each had one beer on his birthday.

"As far as for her to purposefully go and do something, that would just not be possible. ... She would never do anything like that consciously," Gaylord said.

Gaylord said he had never even seen Chambers break any traffic laws.

"She's honestly one of the most cautious drivers that I've ever ridden with. She never turns out in front of any cars. She doesn't ever run yellow lights," he said.

Also Monday, the Oklahoma medical examiner's office identified the boy killed in the crash as 2-year-old Nash Lucas. Oklahoma State University said the boy's mother, 20-year-old Nicolette Strauch, is a sophomore majoring in chemical engineering.

The dead adults were identified as Nikita Nakal, a 23-year-old MBA student from India at the University of Central Oklahoma in Edmond, and a married couple, Bonnie Jean Stone and Marvin Lyle Stone, both 65, of Stillwater.

The Associated Press contributed to this report.

Click for more from The Oklahoman.