A penthouse boiler room exploded because of a gas leak Friday at a 33-story high-rise near Miami, injuring at least six people, fire officials said.
Nuria Serrano, a public information officer for Miami-Dade Fire Rescue, said four people were taken to a hospital, including one who was treated and released. Two firefighters also were hurt. Their conditions were not immediately known.
The explosion happened in an oceanfront building in Sunny Isles Beach, a city about 20 miles north of Miami. The building, still under construction, offers condos ranging from 1,500 square feet to 9,000 square feet, according to the developer's website.
Aerial video showed a heavy police and fire presence in the area. There are at least four holes on the walls on the top floor of the southeast side of the building. Debris fell to the beach below, as well as onto the pool deck of the Monaco Oceanfront Resort next door.
A large portion of sand on the beach in front of the building was discolored because of the debris.