Pennsylvania dad charged after police say toddler overdoses on morphine pill he left on desk

A northwestern Pennsylvania man is charged with endangering his 13-month-old daughter, who swallowed a morphine pill he left on a desk and nearly died.

The Bradford Era ( ) reports that 29-year-old Casey Neely was arraigned Monday on child endangerment and drug possession charges.

Bradford police say they were called last month when the toddler tested positive for opiates after she was brought to a hospital because she was having difficulty breathing.

Police say Neely told them the girl became "tired and groggy" while bathing on June 14 and that he and the girl's mother called 911 when she became sicker.

Police say Neely suspected then that his daughter swallowed the pill but didn't tell doctors until later.

Online court records don't list an attorney for Neely, who faces a preliminary hearing July 16.


Information from: The Bradford Era,