Investigators have identified a person of interest in the case of a 13-year-old boy who went missing in 2012 and whose remains were found seven months later in southwestern Colorado.

The La Plata County Sheriff's Office announced the development in Dylan Redwine's case Wednesday but declined to publicly identify the person. Investigators also stressed they do not yet have a suspect, according to The Durango Herald (http://goo.gl/DOkK90 ).

"It's a fair statement that we are very encouraged that we have crossed the bridge from the unknown to the known," said Pete Klismet, a former FBI criminal profiler hired by the sheriff's office and the district attorney's office to help investigate.

Dylan lived north of Colorado Springs with his mother but went to his father's home near Vallecito Reservoir northeast of Durango for a court-ordered visit in November 2012. Mark Redwine has said he returned home from doing errands to find his son gone.

Sheriff's office spokesman Dan Bender told The Denver Post that two searches in June near where the remains were found also turned up items of interest, and more searches are planned.

Wednesday's announcement has given the case momentum it has not had since the teenager's remains were found.

"There is a level of excitement right now that has not been previously felt before," said Klismet, who was hired about six months ago.