Manhattan prosecutors have started the process to retry the man accused of kidnapping and killing 6-year-old Etan Patz (AY'-tahn payts) in 1979.

Pedro Hernandez's first trial ended with a hung jury last month. The 54-year-old confessed in 2012 and told several people over the years he had harmed a child in New York.

Defense attorneys brought evidence that Hernandez was mentally ill and his confessions were fictional ravings.

The previous jury voted 11-1 in favor of convicting Hernandez of murder. The lone holdout said he was concerned about Hernandez's mental state.

Etan became a national symbol for the missing children's movement. The boy's body was never found.

Several former jurors attended Wednesday's hearing, including the holdout.