The campus of the University of California, Santa Barbara was briefly locked down Monday night after police said two people were shot and a third person was assaulted in the same neighborhood where a man staged a killing rampage last year.

Santa Barbara County fire Capt. Dave Zaniboni told the Associated Press the incident took place at approximately 7:15 p.m. local time in an area of small apartments in the Isla Vista neighborhood. The area is within two blocks of campus and home to thousands of students there.

Zaniboni says three men in their early 20s were taken to a hospital with moderate injuries. It was not clear whether they were students at the university.

A statement from the Santa Barbara County sheriff's office said that deputies and university police officers responded to the report of a domestic disturbance outside a residence where gunshots were reported.

Authorities believe one of the injured men is a suspect in the case, while a second suspect is thought to have fled the scene in a white four-door sedan. A search for that suspect is ongoing. The lockdown and search of the UCSB campus ended after approximately two hours.

The shooting came less than two weeks before the anniversary of a deadly May 23, 2014, attack in Isla Vista. In a stabbing and shooting spree, Elliot Rodger, 22, killed six people and injured 14 others near campus before killing himself.

Rodger, who wasn't a UCSB student or alumnus, had posted a manifesto and a series of online videos voicing contempt for everyone from his roommates to the human race but reserving special hate for two groups: the women he says kept him a virgin and the men they chose instead.

In one video, he said: "I'll take great pleasure in slaughtering all of you."

The Associated Press contributed to this report.