WESTBURY, N.Y. – A New York man is accused of causing the death of his dog, which was so hungry it ate wood and plastic and so cold its temperature didn't register on a thermometer.
Nassau County prosecutors say Jemell Blackman told veterinarians he thought his dog, Scotia, had been poisoned because it showed no signs of illness until Feb. 3.
Prosecutors say the 2-year-old pooch was severely underweight, had sores and was filthy. They say Scotia's heart rate was one-half to one-third of what a normal dog's heart rate would be.
Newsday (http://nwsdy.li/1CpDvKK ) says the dog was euthanized after 40 minutes of unsuccessful rescue efforts.
Blackman, of Westbury, was arraigned Monday on animal abuse charges and released on his own recognizance.
He and his attorney could not be immediately reached for comment.
Information from: Newsday, http://www.newsday.com