BESSEMER, Ala. – Alabama police say a toddler has died after drinking from a bottle of grape soda believed to be laced with methadone.
Sgt. Charlie Burton was quoted by Al.com (http://bit.ly/1FMG86W ) as saying that 31-year-old Cassie Townsend was babysitting the 2-year-old boy Friday and noticed that a bottle containing methadone was not where she left it. Methadone is a medication used to treat addiction to heroin and other opioid drugs.
Police say Townsend brought the boy to a local hospital because he appeared to be sick. Burton says the boy was unresponsive and later died.
Townsend was initially charged with chemical endangerment of a child. It was not known if she had an attorney.
Jefferson County Chief Deputy Coroner Bill Yates says toxicology tests will be performed on the boy.