COLUMBIA, S.C. – Two men have been charged following the death of a South Carolina man who mistakenly drank stolen herbicide that was stored in a soft drink bottle he bought from them.
Damon Lamonte Kelly and Kenneth M. Beauford were arrested last month and charged with violating the Pesticide Control Act.
Attorney General Alan Wilson says Kelly stole the herbicide, which contained a highly toxic weed killer available for use only by commercially licensed users.
Investigators say Beauford put the herbicide in plastic soft drink bottles and sold them in St. Stephen. One buyer later mistook the herbicide for a beverage, drank it and died in June.
Beauford is also charged with involuntary manslaughter, and Kelly faces a petty larceny charge. Court records listed no attorneys for the men.