EDUCATION

Wesleyan University says several students hospitalized with Molly overdose symptoms

Wesleyan University says several students have been hospitalized with symptoms of overdoses on the drug known as "Molly."

Dean Michael Whaley, vice president of student affairs, said in a letter to the campus that a sophomore was in critical condition at Middlesex Hospital where she was taken early Sunday.

He said three other students also were hospitalized in less serious condition with similar symptoms. Whaley said initial indications are the students took Molly, a stimulant psychoactive drug also known as methylone, Saturday night.

The campus newspaper Wesleyan Argus reports Whaley said in a second email that three more students also had been hospitalized.

Whaley said Middletown police, university police and residence officials are investigating. He asked students to check on their friends.

Middletown and university police declined immediate comment.