NEW YORK – A man who spent nearly 22 years in prison after being wrongly convicted of killing his mother, sister and a friend has sued New York City.
Antonio Yarbough and co-defendant Sharrif Wilson were cleared by DNA evidence and released last year. Wilson died in January.
The New York Times (http://nyti.ms/1vsgJPC ) reports that Yarbough filed the lawsuit Tuesday in Brooklyn federal court. The suit doesn't ask for a specific amount.
The lawsuit says the then-18-year-old Yarbough came home in 1992 to find his mom, his 12-year-old sister and his sister's friend "tied up, stabbed and garroted with electrical cords."
The lawsuit says police coerced Wilson into a videotaped confession and had Yarbough sign his name to a written statement.
The city's Law Department said it will review the lawsuit.
Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com