CONCORD, N.H. – New Hampshire's bear expert is proposing to eliminate chocolate as bait after four bears were found dead at one trapping site due to a chocolate overdose.
The Concord Monitor reports (http://bit.ly/1BhaVHw) two cubs and two adult bears were taken to labs at the University of New Hampshire. Necropsies and toxicology reports confirmed they died of heart failure by poisoning of theobromine, a toxic ingredient in chocolate.
Andrew Timmins is the state Fish and Game Department's bear project leader. He said at a Fish and Game Commission meeting Wednesday that the best way to stop this from happening again is to remove chocolate from the woods.
In this case, an experienced hunter used 90 pounds of chocolate and doughnuts as bait in September. The bears died nearby.
Information from: Concord Monitor, http://www.cmonitor.com