LOS ANGELES – Lawyers in the case of a man facing a possible death sentence in the deadly rampage at Los Angeles International Airport are due in court to discuss possible trial dates.
The hearing Monday in federal court follows the announcement last week that prosecutors will seek the death penalty against Paul Ciancia.
A judge has said he wants the case to go to trial this year, but defense lawyers have said it would take much longer to prepare for a capital case.
Ciancia, 24, has pleaded not guilty to murder and other charges in the killing of Gerardo Hernandez, 39, and the wounding of three other people at LAX in November 2013.
Prosecutors say that want Ciancia put to death because he intentionally targeted federal employees and terrorized passengers and airport workers.