Drugs

Man charged with child endangerment after boy, 9, dies from apparent drug overdose at his home

A Pennsylvania man has been charged with child endangerment after police say a 9-year-old boy who was staying at his home died of an apparent drug overdose.

Police say 58-year-old Victor Hare was aware the boy had used the prescription drug oxycodone and alcohol in the past yet allowed him to stay in his house with both alcohol and oxycodone "readily available."

Police went to Hare's home in Northumberland, about 60 miles north of Harrisburg, on Monday on a report of a boy in cardiac arrest.

Authorities say the victim and a stepbrother live with their mother in another town but were staying overnight with Hare, a family friend.

Hare did not have a lawyer on file. He was being held in lieu of $290,000 bail.

He is also charged with illegal possession of a firearm by a felon.