HARRISBURG, Pa. – Pennsylvania's attorney general on Wednesday corrected her statement earlier this week about two young men who she said had accused Jerry Sandusky of sexual abuse in 2009, after the investigation into the former Penn State assistant football coach was underway.
Attorney General Kathleen Kane's office said that one of the men was, in fact, among the eight victims who testified against Sandusky during his 2012 trial. Kane had previously said neither of the two had testified at the trial.
Kane's statements raise the prospect that people may have been harmed after the three-year investigation began in late 2008.
The young man described in court documents as Victim 9 told jurors his contact with Sandusky ended in 2008 or 2009. Kane's spokesman said he is one of the two people she was referring to.
Kane said the other accuser came forward in 2012, and Sandusky has not been charged in relation to that person.
Prosecutors who were involved in the case at the time say an accuser who came forward in 2012 had credibility issues.
It's unclear whether Kane and the trial prosecutors are talking about the same person. The attorney general's office said it wouldn't provide any other information about 2012 accuser.
Kane on Monday released a review of how the Sandusky case was handled under then-Attorney General Tom Corbett, who had a successful campaign for governor in 2010.
The report by law professor and former federal prosecutor Geoff Moulton faulted police and prosecutors for decisions early on in the investigation, but he found no evidence the matter was influenced by politics.
Frank Fina, a lead prosecutor during Sandusky's trial and now with the Philadelphia district attorney's office, said after Kane's news conference on Monday that he knew of no one with a credible claim of being assaulted by Sandusky during the investigation.
Sandusky is serving a 30- to 60-year state prison sentence.