A lockdown was lifted at a Los Angeles Air Force Base Tuesday following an earlier report of a suspicious person on the grounds.

Susan James, who works in public affairs on the small base near Los Angeles International Airport, told The Associated Press that employees were told at about 1:45 p.m. PST Tuesday to go to a secure area of their office and remain there. 

At about 6:15 p.m., an 'all clear' was sounded over loud speakers at the base, according to MyFox8.com. It was not immediately known if anyone was in custody.

James said they were not told why the lockdown was ordered. However MyFox8.com later reported that authorities had been looking for a suspicious person wearing a vest or backpack with wires coming out. 

Earlier, El Segundo police issued a statement saying police activity was occurring on the base and asking people to stay away.

The nearby Hawthorne Police Department said in a statement that it was assisting El Segundo police over a report of a possible suspicious person, and had a helicopter over the base.

Click here for more from MyFox8.com

The Associated Press contributed to this report.