ELIMSPORT, Pa. – Authorities investigating the carbon monoxide deaths of two adults and three children in a north-central Pennsylvania cabin say the mother of two of the children had left early in the morning, before the tragedy was discovered.
Lycoming County Coroner Chuck Kiessling said Sunday the mother of two girls, aged 4 and 9, left the small cabin with another woman at around 5 a.m. Saturday after a night of partying. He says police do not believe there is evidence to support criminal charges against the mother.
Kiessling says the girls, a man, a woman and the woman's 3-year-old son all died in their sleep of carbon monoxide toxicity caused by an improperly ventilated propane heater.
The man who hosted the party slept outside in his truck and discovered the deaths Saturday.