A Brooklyn man wants a million dollars for every year the state wrongly locked him up in prison.
Derrick Deacon, who spent almost a quarter-century behind bars for a crime he didn’t commit, has hit the state with a $25 million lawsuit he hopes will teach authorities a lesson about bending the rules to gain a conviction.
“These people have to pay for every day they made me suffer behind the wall for no reason,” Deacon, 58, who was freed last year by new evidence, told The New York Post.
Deacon was convicted of murder on Dec. 21, 1989, in the fatal shooting that April of Anthony Wynn, 16. He was sentenced to 25 years to life in prison.
But Deacon was granted a new trial on June 20, 2012, after a Jamaican gangbanger said a fellow gang members killed Wynn.
Also, a woman who took the stand at Deacon’s trial recanted her testimony, saying police or district attorney investigators had coached and even threatened her.
Colleen Campbell had told investigators Deacon was not the man she saw fleeing in a stairwell after the shooting, but she was coached to give vague testimony at trial, with authorities threatening to take her children if she didn’t cooperate, the suit states.
“[Police] told Campbell that she was in trouble for leaving the children unattended and that the children would be taken away unless she accompanied them to the District Attorney’s Office,” says the suit, filed by Deacon’s defense attorney, Glenn Garber.