Sign in to comment!

Menu
Home

U.S.

Police: 1 dead, more than 2 dozen treated after being overcome by carbon monoxide at NY mall

Police say a 55-year-old restaurant manager has died and more than two dozen others were taken to hospitals after being overcome by carbon monoxide at a New York mall.

A Suffolk County police spokesman identified the man who died Saturday as Steven Nelson, a restaurant manager at the Walt Whitman Shops in Huntington Station on Long Island.

Police said 28 others affected by carbon monoxide were taken to area hospitals.

Police earlier said three officers were among those overcome by carbon monoxide at the mall, which is about 35 miles east of New York City. They responded to a call shortly after 6 p.m.

Carbon monoxide is odorless and colorless and can lead to death by suffocation.

Several restaurants at the mall were evacuated as a precaution.

The Walt Whitman Shops consists of more than 80 stores, including anchors Bloomingdale's, Lord & Taylor, Macy's and Saks Fifth Avenue.

Bank Rates

Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
30 Y Fixed Graph 4.18% dw 4.20%  
15 Y Fixed Graph 3.21% dw 3.27%  
30 Y Fixed Jumbo Graph 4.69% up 4.61%  
5/1 ARM Graph 3.32% dw 3.53%  
5/1 Jumbo ARM Graph 3.71% dw 3.85%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
$30K HELOC Graph 4.29% -- 4.29%  
$50K HELOC Graph 4.04% -- 4.04%  
$30K Loan Graph 5.10% up 5.09%  
$50K Loan Graph 4.53% up 4.52%  
$75K Loan Graph 4.53% up 4.52%  
Loan Type Graph Rate +/- Last Week
36 M New Graph 2.93% -- 2.93%  
36 M Used Graph 3.46% -- 3.46%  
48 M New Graph 3.22% -- 3.22%  
48 M Used Graph 2.99% up 2.98%  
60 M New Graph 3.24% -- 3.24%  
Loan Type Graph Yield +/- Last Week
6 month Graph 0.37% up 0.35%  
1 yr Graph 0.69% up 0.69%  
5 yr Graph 1.47% up 1.39%