Maine student's cellphone catches fire in her pocket

Published February 04, 2014

| Associated Press

The "stop, drop and roll" mantra came in handy for a Maine eighth-grader when her cellphone caught fire in her pocket at school.

Kennebunk middle school Principal Jeff Rodman tells The Portland Press Herald that the girl heard a popping sound Friday morning and smoke started billowing around her.

Boys were herded from the room so the 14-year-old girl could shed her flaming pants. She also did the "stop, drop and roll" move to help put out the fire. She was treated at a hospital.

Her mother had given her the Apple iPhone 5C two months earlier.

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/02/04/maine-student-cellphone-catches-fire-in-her-pocket/