NEW YORK – Fire officials say a faulty electrical wire likely caused a blaze that killed one man and critically injured his husband in a New York City high-rise apartment.
Fire Department operations Chief James Esposito said Monday that there was a Christmas tree in the apartment. But he says it's not clear whether the cord was connected to it.
Twenty-seven-year-old Daniel McClung died and 32-year-old Michael Todd Cohen was badly hurt Sunday when flames swept through their 20th floor home. Their building in midtown Manhattan has 42 stories.
The men were found in a stairwell near the 31st floor, overcome by smoke.
Cohen is in stable condition at a New York hospital. The couple married in July.
Seven other residents and some firefighters suffered minor injuries.