Colorado toddler hospitalized after ingesting marijuana

Published January 05, 2014

| FoxNews.com

Days after Colorado became the first state to legalize the recreational use of marijuana, police in a town just north of Denver are investigating how a toddler was hospitalized after ingesting the drug.

CBS4 reports Aida Hernandez – the 2-year-old girl’s mother -- doesn’t know how her daughter, Evelyn, encountered marijuana, but suspects a cookie she found outside their apartment is to blame.

“It was brown, like a chocolate chip cookie,” Hernandez reportedly said, adding Evelyn nibbled on it.

The mother reportedly said that a half-hour after she discovered her daughter had eaten part of the cookie, “She was asleep, she was opening and closing her eyes and couldn’t walk really well. She was weak.”

At the hospital, the little girl tested positive for THC -- the active ingredient in marijuana. “They do a blood test and that’s when they told me. That was a surprise,” Hernandez told CBS4. “It’s everywhere now that it’s legal. They have it everywhere.”

Authorities reportedly do not suspect Hernandez was involved in her daughter’s plight, having searched her home for evidence of the drug to no avail. But police never did reportedly find the cookie.

Click for more from Denver.CBSLocal.com.

 

URL

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/05/colorado-toddler-hospitalized-after-ingesting-marijuana/